(1) A tour of what is blooming in the garden. Plant identification will give you ideas of what might fit your own landscape and how to plan for color and interest in every season.
(2) Take-home materials (e.g., deer-proof plants, perennials, vegetable planting schedules, soil test kits and more.)
(3) Essential garden tools for the task at hand.
(4) Recommended sources of continuing education: garden magazines, TV, books, Internet & local horticultural events.
(5) Recommended sources for finding the plants, supplies and landscape services you want.
(6) Landscape design ideas and tips.
(7) Q & A time for addressing specific questions in class, as well as by phone or email.
(8) Bargain-priced pass-along plants from my garden.
The series of 8 gardening classes will be offered as ONE college-level program for $275. Courses start with the basics and take you way beyond “Gardening 101”. You are likely to be on information overload before the end of each class. You will love it. Each class will be taught on more than one date. You can choose the dates that fit your schedule and attend as often as you like as long as you let me know when. Class size will be limited to no more than 15 people to allow for more personal interaction. Registrations are confirmed only after payment is received. Refunds are not available after March 1st.
As a special consideration, you may purchase the first class individually for $40. If after Course #1 you decide you want to attend the rest of the classes I will apply the $40 toward the full tuition.
For returning students: I will credit 50% of what you paid last year toward the price of this year’s tuition. For example, If you took all of the classes last year, you would receive a $160 discount off your $275 tuition. You would pay only $115 to attend any or ALL of my 2013 classes.
I will be spending many hours in preparation before you arrive. Each 3 hours will be packed with exciting information and the time will fly by. When you EXPERIENCE gardening through your sight, smell and touch, you will you remember it for a lifetime. I look forward to having you come out to play!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I purchase only a few of the classes?
I am a desperately addicted gardener who finds being inside tracking calendars and payments to be sheer torture! Learning to garden is like learning a new language and one class is barely an introduction. It is no surprise that the students who attended the most classes were the most pleased with what they were learning. It is much more satisfying for me too. We all have busy lives and students occasionally have to miss class. I have reduced the program price in consideration of this, and I have added more learning opportunites: a bonus class on “Preserving the Harvest” plus several Private Garden tours!
How do I register?
Click on the “Contact Ellen” tab on the main menu, send me your contact information and the dates you prefer to attend. You may also register by calling me at 336-644-6072. Prepayment may be made by cash, check or credit card. Registration is confirmed when payment is received. Refunds are not available after March 1st.
What about weather considerations?
I have a large indoor meeting space where we can stay comfortably warm and dry; however our goal is to be outside in the garden for at least half of the class. Please plan to dress for the weather. In the event of hurricanes, ice storms or floods, classes may be cancelled and rescheduled.
How do I get the most out of your classes?
I will email course materials prior to each class. You may find it helpful to review these prior to attending and bring a list of questions to class. After class, go home and do something in your own garden! There is nothing more motivating than successfully growing something beautiful and delicious.
Do you make house calls?
I offer on-site “plantscape” consulting for $50/hour. We will walk your property together with pen and paper in hand, and within a couple of hours come up with design ideas and a list of favorite plants that fit your personal style. My goal is to leave you inspired and with an executable plan of action.
Do you offer speaking engagements?
Yes. I’m happy to give presentations on many different topics such as butterfly gardening, kitchen gardens, container gardens, cutting gardens, organic gardening, pruning and more. My fee is $150 plus travel expenses.
Can I bring a group for a garden tour?
Yes. I provide educational guided tours for groups of up to 30 people. A $100 donation is appreciated.
What else do you offer?
- Fresh cut flower arrangements made to order from April through December.
- Inexpensively priced “pass-along” plants.
- Deer and rabbit repellent (organic).
- Gift Certificates in any amount. These can be spent on course tuition, flower arrangements or “Plantscape” consulting services.
- Hand crafted blank greeting cards on heavy card stock with colorful photographs from my garden. These are packaged in lovely Organza bags, 12 cards for $22. There are 5 card collections to choose from. Click the files here to view photos (these take just a minute to load): Winter Just Flowers Garden Scenes Cats & Butterflies Beach Collection